[R-sig-Debian] plot() dislays NO axis and X11 font error

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 21 14:38:59 CEST 2011

On 06/21/2011 08:06 AM, YuHong wrote:

> I wish for help on the following issue with GNU R.
>
> I have on my Ubuntu-Linux-10.04-LTS compiled R-2.13.0 from source, and then installed under some local directory.  After I launched the R interactive console, the plot() etc. graphics functions showed only points but no axis, and reported the following errors from console line:
>
> -- could not find any X11 fonts
> -- locale not supported by Xlib: some X ops will operate in C locale
> X cannot set locale modifiers
>
> I read more about R-admin.pdf but haven't made progress on the issue.  Therefore really appreciate it if any suggestions.  Thanks a lot!
>
> Regards,
>
> Hong Yu
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hong,

Since you are using Ubuntu, my first suggestion would be to use the
binary packages available on CRAN
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/).  That will likely solve
the problem.

You can also run "capabilities()" in R.  My Ubuntu box returns the
following:

 > capabilities()
     jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE
   libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

If any of the TRUE values are FALSE on your system, that would likely be
the cause of the error.  For example, X11 might not be available to R,
and you would need to resolve that.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science