[R-sig-Debian] JAGS 3.0 and the Ubuntu repositories: A fix for jrags users

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Jul 15 20:27:29 CEST 2011

Ubuntu R users,

Early this month, version 3.0 of JAGS was released on its Sourceforge
page.  Dirk Eddelbuettel and I quickly rolled up packages for Debian and
Ubuntu, respectively.  If you are an Ubuntu user who utilizes my
Launchpad PPA for your R related .deb files, JAGS was updated automatically.

The downside to this is that JAGS 3.0 is not compatible with the R
package rjags, also found on my PPA.  rjags has not be updated to work
with 3.0 yet.  So, if you are using JAGS 3.0, rjags will fail to load in R.

One solution is to roll JAGS back to version 2.2.  In order to make this
easier, I have added JAGS to the CRAN Ubuntu repository, which will
contain the last few versions of JAGS built for Ubuntu, including 2.2.
Links on how to pin (apt) or force (Synaptic) the version of a package
are given below.  Please note that it could take up to a day to sync to
your CRAN mirror.

Rutter's R Launchpad PPA: https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter
Ubuntu CRAN Page: http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
Synaptic Force Version: