[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu and R.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 29 03:45:45 CET 2011

On 28 January 2011 at 17:39, Matthew Bascom wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I´ve encountered a couple hurdles after installing Ubuntu for the first time
| and working with R with RKWard.
|
| The Keyboard: I have to hit the quote button twice to get a quote or
| apostrophe! I tried adjusting keyboard settings but nothing changed.  And
| the RKWard GUI won´t recognize quotes from my machines even though they show
| up on the RKWard text editor. On the other hand, RKWard will run quoted
| material when I copy and paste material with quotes such as in a help.search
| query.

There is not a lot to go by here.

Thomas frequently builds on Debian and Ubuntu, in fact he is the maintainer.
Thanks to the backporters Vincent and Michal, a version is always included on
the CRAN repo for Ubuntu, eg at

     http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

where you should read the README.  Just running 'apt-get install rkward'
should install it; and by launching

     $ rkward

it surely start a working version. I have no problem using quotes either.

Dirk