[R-sig-Debian] The RGtk2 package did not find libglade installed. Please install it.

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. kingsley at loaner.com
Sun Jan 16 09:01:39 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm looking forward to mining some new data six
ways from Sunday with a great looking R
application named "rattle".

May I please have the benefit of this list's
informed thoughts on how to debug an installation
error?

On Debian Linux's unstable release, I've done

    root$ aptitude install r-cran-rattle
    root$ aptitude install r-cran-rgtk2
    user$ R
    > library(rattle)
    > rattle()

but when I try to run rattle, I get

    Error in rattle() :
      The RGtk2 package did not find libglade installed. Please install it.
    In addition: Warning message:
    In infoDialog(sprintf(Rtxt("The package '%s' is required to %s.",  :
      The package 'colorspace' is required to choose appropriate colors for plots. It does not appear to be installed. Please consider installing it, perhaps with the following R command:

    install.packages('colorspace')

    to use the full functionality of Rattle.

Does anyone here happen to know how to install
libglade on Debian Linux?

Thanks,
Kingsley