[R-sig-Debian] GotoBLAS2 breaks lapack

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 28 05:16:56 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

On 27 February 2011 at 21:54, Paul Johnson wrote:
| Suppose the administrator has the Atlas blas installed, as well as the
| revolution-mkl, and then also the GOTOblas.  How does R--as you
| package it--select which one to use?

These two or three distinct issues:

i)   The package system has a mechanism to express and honour preferences,
     that is how Atlas is chose in case it as well as reference Blas are
     installed. Same for the different 'vi' commands from vim, nvi, ... or
     emacsen

ii)  MKL is different as Revo made it appear in a directory only R uses.
     So different mechanism.

iii) Goto is not formally packaged and part of the distro. I think the helper
     package is so good that is does the preferences scheme too but I'd have
     to check. For my gcbd project I scripted it such that exactly one is
     present.

| Following the R Install and Admin manual,  Section A.3.1, I've built R

That has *nothing* to do or say on Debian package and hence no bearing on
your question.

You need to decide in which backyard you are playing and then pick the right
guidebook.  Randomly mixing leads to odds results, like the errors that lead
to this thread and which we fixes by getting back on a more standard path.

As for your question what dynamic library is used: ask ldd(1). That's what it
is there for.

| Hence, I don't understand the OP's point about all of those Ubuntu
| guides which advise him to use symbolic links.  How can you get along
| without them?

You may want to study the gotoblas2-helper package as well as the supporting
documentation in the packaging guides.

| Hm. I guess we could fiddle around in /etc/alternatives with deb
| packaging.  But that's same as fiddling sym links.

No, please don't. I rarely advocate random fiddling with symlinks.

Hth, Dirk