[R-sig-Debian] Difference in the BLAS_LIBS definition on Ubuntu packages

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 7 22:12:59 CET 2011

A while back I posted to this group that I was having difficulty
compiling packages that used BLAS and Lapack on an Ubuntu 32-bit
system.  I looked a little further into the issue and discovered that
the /usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf files are different on the 32-bit and
64-bit Ubuntu packages

maverick/r-base-core_2.12.1-1maverick0_i386.deb

and the corresponding 64-bit version.  The Make variable BLAS_LIBS is
defined as -lblas on the 64-bit system

$ egrep BLAS /etc/R/Makeconf
BLAS_LIBS = -lblas

but on the 32-bit system it is defined as -lf77blas -latlas