[R-sig-Debian] install.packages readRDS error

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sat Dec 10 21:04:58 CET 2011

On 12/10/2011 02:00 PM, Monica Sakuray Pais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and I have just installed R 2.14.0.
>
> When I try to install a package:     install.packages("SPOT")
> it returns an error message: "Error in readRDS(file) : error reading from
> the connection".
>
> Also, when I try the command in R: update.packages(), it returns the same
> error message described previously.
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Monica

Monica,

Searches on rseek,.org and google seem to indicate this is an issue with
the directory in which you store you packages.  I would try the following:

1.  Delete your .Rhistory and .RData files in the directory in which you
are running R.
2.  Try to run an "update.packages()"
3.  If those fail, you may have to delete the directory in which you
have stored your downloaded packages.  You would have to reload install
them, but it appears to be a solution.

Here is a stack overflow reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6473831/readrdsfile-in-r

Dr. Michael A. Rutter