[R-sig-Debian] Re : Upgrading R on my EEE PC netbook

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sun Dec 4 18:03:23 CET 2011

Our local Linux Users Group (oclug.on.ca) has been finding unfortunately that the issue
becomes one of which USB sticks will boot in which laptops. So far we keep finding some
combinations work fine, but others don't. That is, stick 1 that boots fine on A B and C
laptops won't boot on D and E, while stick 2 boots on A B and D but not C and E etc. This
has stopped us doing Linux promotions by offering a live-USB because we found too many
cases where novice users can't get their machine to boot.

I've had good success with several different USB CD/DVD reader/burners as long as I make
sure they are properly powered (there is usually a separate power input), especially on
burning. Some USB ports e.g., the LH one on some Asus Eee and UL30, don't seem to be fully
powered, so I tend to use a 5V "brick" or a nice little Belkin power bar that has a couple
of USB power slots meant for charging cell phones.

I'm probably getting into off-list territory here, but I've been finding in the last while
that a lot of "failures" or "unreliability" alleged in technical lists turn out to be
silly things like devices not getting power when apparently plugged in.

JN