[R-sig-Debian] not able to install R version 2.13.1

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 31 15:16:25 CEST 2011

On 31 August 2011 at 00:05, kirti rajagopalan wrote:
| I am trying to install R version 2.13.1 on Ubuntu. I get the following error
| when I type the command sudo apt-get install r-base
|
| I have modified /etc/apt/sources.list as well as run the command  "sudo
| apt-get update" prior to running this.
|
| Please help!
|

| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree
| Reading state information... Done
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
|
| Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
| the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
| that package should be filed.
| The following information may help resolve the situation:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|   r-base: Depends: r-base-core (>= 2.13.1-1maverick2) but 2.6.2-2 is to be
| installed
|           Depends: r-recommended (= 2.13.1-1maverick2) but it is not going
| to be installed
| E: Broken packages

R 2.6.2 is suspicious. Are you running a __very__ old version of Ubuntu?
Only the last few releases are supported, in other words the repository
assumes that you are at least somewhat current.

Two new Rcpp master classes for R and C++ integration scheduled for
New York (Sep 24) and San Francisco (Oct 8), more details are at
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/08/04#rcpp_classes_2011-09_and_2011-10
http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/products/training/public/rcpp-master-class.php