[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing R Commander plugin... (apparently solved)

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Mon Aug 15 03:30:24 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 19:35 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On 14 August 2011 at 19:39, Brian Lunergan wrote:
> | On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 14:42 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | > Start with
> | >
> | >   sudo apt-get install r-cran-tkrplot
> | >
> | > otherwise read numerous past emails here about the need for matching -dev
> | > packages when building from source.
> | >
> | > Dirk
> | >

> | Evening Dirk:
> |
> | When I'm using the current edition of R I have found the R-cran packages
> | I have access to on the surviving Heron repositories more often than not
> | turn out to be too old. I tried that route to pull in r-cran-rgl. When I
> | tried to load it with library() the system snarked back that it had been
> | built before version 2.10. Sooo... it would appear building from source
> | is the open option. Can you suggest which -dev packages I should be
> | checking for on my system? If I find and load them will R see and accept
> | them or will I need to "reinstall" to get the support in place to build
> | tkrplot when I download it for installation?
>
> Could we please keep the discussion on-list?
>
> Dirk

Duly noted, Dirk. I shall post this to the list and CC yourself,
reversing your response approach to my original query.

To the business at hand. The archive is not super helpful as it is laid
out but I did find something that looked like it might help referencing
the tk and tcl dev files. Going into synaptic I pulled in three missing
items in the 8.4 and 8.5 version group. Since some mention was made
about "reninstalling" R to pick up access to them I did a reinstall of
r-base. Not sure if it was really called for, but when I called up R in
a root terminal window and ran install.packages() the last two bits fell
into place and I now have the PT plugin installed and working.

Now... Next problem is to get R and java talking to each properly so I
get the rjava package on board and by extension the other bits of the
TextMining plugin. But that's a question for another day. TTYL...

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario