[R-sig-Debian] Re : Howto compile chemometrics package from source

denis brion dbrion1 at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 28 16:27:11 CEST 2010

Dear Jose Brasil
D. Bates already gave you a response on how to install from sources; however, as chemometrics depends (at least on som, mvtnorm, mclust, pls, robustbase, e1071, pcaPP, pls, lars) on other packages, you should have them already installed, either
 binary or
from sources before trying to install chemometrics (else, "R CMD INSTALL" will complain and give the list of what is missing):
R CMD INSTALL e1071_1.5-24.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL lars_0.9-7.tar.gz (
then, pcaPP_1.8-2.tar.gz, som_0.3.5.tar.gz, etc..)

The main drawback of this way of installing from sources is that you must manage by yourself dependencies, and upgrade by yourself, even for complicated packages....

BTW : you might have little isues if you install packages in /usr/lib/R, as you might mess the packages you had compiled with the packages your package manager automatically manages...
 Adding "export R_LIBS=/usr/local/lib/R/library" (or any name of a directory you can write on)
before installing from source and before invoking the libraries might be useful.

Have nice days
D.Brion