[R-sig-Debian] How to get write permissions for (lib="~/.R/library") ??

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Sat Oct 30 16:25:56 CEST 2010

Dear Pragya,

Did you first create the folder '.R/library' in your home? It sounds
weird that it is not writable... Next, if you log as root, it is likely
that '~' refers to the home of the root user. Thus, you might need to
explicitly give the complete name. But really, I wouldn't advise to
install packages *in your home* while logged as root: every file will be
owned by root...

Once you manage to use '~/.R/library' as a regular user, my advice is to
tell it in a .Renviron file (directly in '~/'), so that you don't need
to explicitly tell while installing packages.

### Packages in the home directory:
R_LIBS="~/.R/library:${R_LIBS}"

With this, R will try first in '~/.R/library', and next in the usual
folders if it didn't succeed.

Hope this helps,
Mathieu.

Le 30/10/2010 02:34, pragya agarwal a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install R-igraph, but when I issue the command :
>
> install.packages("igraph", lib="~/.R/library")
>
> in the R session, I get the following error:
>
> Warning in install.packages("igraph", lib = "~/.R/library") :
>    'lib = "~/.R/library"' is not writable
> Error in install.packages("igraph", lib = "~/.R/library") :
>    unable to install packages
>
> I have tried the command by logging in as the root user, but that also
> didn't work.
>
> Can anyone please help me??
>
> Thanks,
> Pragya
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.