[R-sig-Debian] Trying to install R on Lucid Lynx

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sat Nov 20 02:34:58 CET 2010

On 11/19/2010 07:56 PM, Dennis Murphy wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I installed Lucid Lynx amd64 on my system today, dual booted with Win 7.
> I've managed to install several packages through the Ubuntu Software
> Center with success and also installed texlive. Alas, installing my favorite
> software has not been so joyful. I went through the last few months
> of posts in this group to find something similar, but to no avail.
>
> After a couple of false starts, I found this web page:
> http://blog.joelotz.net/?p=225
> which seems to be doing the right thing and condenses some of the
> information I saw elsewhere rather nicely.
>
> I added the fhcrc site to the bottom of sources.list and copied all
> the commands into my bash window. Everything is fine up to
> sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
>

> I got the following response from the terminal:
>
> dennis at dennis-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   build-essential dpatch dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-4.4 gfortran gfortran-4.4
>   libblas-dev libbz2-dev libjpeg62-dev liblapack-dev libncurses5-dev
>   libpcre3-dev libpcrecpp0 libpng12-dev libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev
>   libstdc++6-4.4-dev patch patchutils r-base-core r-base-html r-cran-boot
>   r-cran-class r-cran-cluster r-cran-codetools r-cran-foreign
>   r-cran-kernsmooth r-cran-lattice r-cran-mass r-cran-matrix r-cran-mgcv
>   r-cran-nlme r-cran-nnet r-cran-rpart r-cran-spatial r-cran-survival
>   r-doc-html r-recommended xz-utils zlib1g-dev
> Suggested packages:
>   curl debian-keyring debian-maintainers g++-multilib g++-4.4-multilib
>   gcc-4.4-doc libstdc++6-4.4-dbg gfortran-multilib gfortran-doc
>   gfortran-4.4-multilib gfortran-4.4-doc libgfortran3-dbg libstdc++6-4.4-doc
>   diffutils-doc ess r-doc-info r-doc-pdf r-mathlib cdbs debhelper
>   build-essential dpatch dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-4.4 gfortran gfortran-4.4
>   libblas-dev libbz2-dev libjpeg62-dev liblapack-dev libncurses5-dev
>   libpcre3-dev libpcrecpp0 libpng12-dev libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev
>   libstdc++6-4.4-dev patch patchutils r-base r-base-core r-base-dev
>   r-base-html r-cran-boot r-cran-class r-cran-cluster r-cran-codetools
>   r-cran-foreign r-cran-kernsmooth r-cran-lattice r-cran-mass r-cran-matrix
>   r-cran-mgcv r-cran-nlme r-cran-nnet r-cran-rpart r-cran-spatial
>   r-cran-survival r-doc-html r-recommended xz-utils zlib1g-dev
> 0 upgraded, 44 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/47.1MB of archives.
> After this operation, 115MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> Media change: please insert the disc labeled
>  'Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release amd64 (20100816.1)'
> in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter
>
> at which point the shell hangs after entering.
>
> I installed Ubuntu from a bootable CD-ROM this morning, using
>
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html

> [...]
Dennis,

1.  Did you run "sudo apt-get update" before trying to install R.  It
may not know to look at the CRAN mirror yet.

2.  What does the line you entered in "etc/apt/sources.list" look like?
 There may be an error there.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College