[R-sig-Debian] R install in Ubuntu maverick issues

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 2 14:14:59 CET 2010

On 11/02/2010 09:01 AM, Valentin Constantinescu wrote:
> Thanks. I thought that apt-get will get these dependencies automatically and
> I think is something broken in there.
> That is why I send the message.
> For the moment I just installed the lucid version so I can start learning
> it.
>
> Thanks
>

> On 2 November 2010 13:52, G. Jay Kerns<gkerns at ysu.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Dear Valentin,
>>
>> You can get that version of libzma2 from here
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/maverick/i386/liblzma2
>>
>> or here
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/maverick/amd64/liblzma2
>>
>> and install it manually (say, with the GDebi package installer).  Then
>> R will install without any more trouble.
>>
>> I hope that this helps,
>> Jay
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Valentin Constantinescu
>> <valentin at capia.no>  wrote:
>>> I am trying to install the maverick version. The lucid version works
>>> flawlessly, but this one promts this messages.
>>>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>   r-base: Depends: r-base-core (>= 2.12.0-1maverick0) but it is not going
>>> be installed
>>>          Depends: r-recommended (= 2.12.0-1maverick0) but it is not going
>>> to be installed
>>>          Recommends: r-base-html but it is not going to be installed
>>>

>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>   r-base-core: Depends: liblzma2 (>= 4.999.9beta+20091116) but it is not
>>> installable
>>> E: Broken packages

Valentin,

While Jay's solution works, there should be no need to download a
version of liblzma2 manually, as the correct version is contained within
the default maverick repositories.  Not sure why your system is not
finding the package, but there are a couple of possibilities.  The first
is that your /etc/apt/sources.list file has an error, a line being
commented out accidentally, for example.  Another possibility is that a
previous update (of any ubuntu package, not just R) failed to finish.
Try 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' from the command line to make sure all
updates and installs have properly finished.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College