[R-sig-Debian] Fw: [R] Installing randomForest on Ubuntu Errors

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Mon May 10 16:54:47 CEST 2010

I encountered difficulties installing randomForest on a Ubuntu Linux OS.

Dirk was very helpful and provided the solution below.

Many thanks.

Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147
----- Forwarded by Steve Friedman/EVER/NPS on 05/10/2010 10:53 AM -----

             Dirk Eddelbuettel
             <edd at debian.org>
             05/10/2010 10:25          Steve_Friedman at nps.gov

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [R] Installing randomForest on
                                       Ubuntu  Errors

On 10 May 2010 at 09:29, Steve_Friedman at nps.gov wrote:
| Hi Dirk

Hi Steve -- can you please post this on the r-sig-debian list so that more
eyes can benefit from it, search engines can index it etc pp

| I've downloaded and copied randomForest_4.5-34.tar.gz to
| ~/R/i486-pc-gnu-library/2.6 and then run the command
|
| sudo CMD INSTALL randomForest_4.5-34.tar.gz
| [sudo] password for admuser:  #####
|
| Installing to library 'home/admuser/R/i486-pc-gnu-library/2.6
| Installing *source* package 'randomForest' ...
| ** libs
|
| gcc  -std=gnu99 -I /usr/share/R/include   -I/usr/share/R/include  -fpic
-g
| -O2 -c classTree.c  -o classTree.o
| gcc  -std=gnu99 -I /usr/share/R/include   -I/usr/share/R/include  -fpic
-g
| -O2 -c regrf.c  -o regrf.o
| gcc -std=gnu99  -I/usr/share/R/include   -I/usr/share/R/include   -fpic
-g
| -O2 -c regTree.c -o regTree.o
| gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include   -I/usr/share/R/include   -fpic -g
| -O2 -c rf.c  -o rf.o
|
| gfortran  -fpic - g -O2 -c rfsub.f -o rfsub.o
| /bin/bash gfortran: command not found
|
| make *** [rfsub.o]  Error 127
| ERROR:  compilation failed for package 'randomForest'
| ** Removing '/home/admuser/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.6/randomForest'
|

| Well it looks like the gfortran command is the problem.  It appears that
| the gfortran complier has not been installed.  I can use Synaptic package
| manager to install these, I see that I have options for gfortran,
| gfortran-4.1, gfortran4.1-multlib, gfortran-4.2 and gfortran-4.2-multilib
|
| Which do you suggest I install?

The meta package correcpsoning to your release:

    sudo apt-get install gfortran

But what you are supposed to do which covers this and more is

    sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

Dirk

--
  Regards, Dirk