[R-sig-Debian] Non-zero exit status for survival package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 9 21:55:49 CEST 2010

On 9 May 2010 at 15:46, Patrick Richardson wrote:
| Fair enough Dirk,
|
| The sarcasm isn't warranted, however the console output is below. I
| apologize for the paucity of information in my previous post, however
| the error message I get from R (shown below in it "entirety") is also
| sparse in its information.
|

| R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
| Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
| ISBN 3-900051-07-0
|
| R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
| Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
|
|   Natural language support but running in an English locale
|
| R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
| Type 'contributors()' for more information and
| 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
|
| Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
| 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
| Type 'q()' to quit R.
|

| > install.packages("survival")
| Warning in install.packages("survival") :
|   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
| trying URL
| 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/src/contrib/survival_2.35-9.tar.gz'
| Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 672383 bytes (656 Kb)
| opened URL
| ==================================================
| downloaded 656 Kb
|
| The downloaded packages are in
| 	‘/tmp/RtmpxVKTiu/downloaded_packages’
| Warning message:
| In install.packages("survival") :
|   installation of package 'survival' had non-zero exit status

Now here is an exercise:  find me the word 'error' in what you quoted.

I see Warning, and that ain't an error.   You were told by R that you did not
specify a destination directory, so it picked one for you. That's all.

Now, before going any further, did you actually try to _load_ survival?

	library(survival)

would do that.  Also note that your neighborhood R maintainers provide a
pre-compiled r-cran-survival package for you.  Which you could install via
any of the graphical or command-line oriented package managers.  That doesn't
hold try for all 2300+ CRAN packages, but we try to cover the important
ones.  Which includes those shipping with R itself like 'survival'.

Dirk

| On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 14:30 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 9 May 2010 at 17:54, xplaner800 at comcast.net wrote:
| > | I'm using 64-bit Karmic. I've tried to install many packages (including, survival, impute, samr) and others, all with the same resulting message of terminating with non-zero exit status.
| >
| > Our mid-reading machine is currently undergoing maintenance so unless
| > you actually show us __the error message you are getting__ there is not much
| > we can do to help.
| >
| > For what it is worth, many of us use Ubuntu or Debian daily on i386 and amd64
| > or other systems and we regularly install packages.  You'll get there too,
| > but you to do a little better so that we can help you.
| >
| > There is are FAQs on-line about 'how to ask good questions', see
| > e.g. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for one such guide.
| >
| > Dirk
| >

| > | Patrick
| > |
| > | Can you give an example of a package that you have tried to install?  Or
| > | you using 32 or 64-bit Karmic?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Michael