[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing/updating Rpmi

mat matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Sun May 2 18:15:26 CEST 2010

Hi

I have a few problems installing/updating packages with complicated
dependencies. For example, the Rmpi package:

update.packages(...)
checking for mpi.h... no
configure: error: "Cannot find mpi.h header file"
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Rmpi’

So I tried:

 >install.packages("Rmpi",configure.args="--with-mpi=/usr/lib/openmpi")

Trying to find mpi.h ...
Cannot find mpi.h header file
Please use --with-mpi=/path/to/mpi or specify the environment variable
MPI_ROOT

As well as:
$sudo R CMD INSTALL Rmpi --configure-args=--with-mpi
=/usr/lib64/openmpi

but get same error message... So it looks it is asking me what I thought
precisely that I was doing (specifying the library)...

Should I do something more elaborate? I feel this was working before
when I used the version from r-cran-*, nut now R 2.11 want the latest
package to be installed... which seems no to be available on r-cran-*

Btw, when are usually the packages on r-cran updated? Are/Will they be
updated for R 2.11? Thanks a lot for those very useful instalaltion
facilities!!!

Matthieu

sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
[1] LC_CTYPE=fr_CH.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
[3] LC_TIME=fr_CH.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=fr_CH.UTF-8
[5] LC_MONETARY=C LC_MESSAGES=fr_CH.UTF-8
[7] LC_PAPER=fr_CH.UTF-8 LC_NAME=C
[9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_CH.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

[1] tools_2.11.0