[R-sig-Debian] Compiling R-2.11.1 patched on Ubuntu 10.04 with Optimized GotoBLAS2 libraries

Dale Steele dale.w.steele at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 01:02:02 CEST 2010

I've attempted to use the optimized GotoBLAS2 library with a freshly
compiled R-2.11.1 patched on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.4.  (See details below).
 When I run this version of R, the timings are not different than the
original install, and only one core is used in test computations.

Can someone point out my error? Thanks.  --Dale

Details ...
I'm running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 on my 2 core  laptop. I
first installed
needed tools as follows:

sudo apt-get build-dep r-base
sudo apt-get install gobjc sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre

Subsequently, I successfully installed R 2.11.1 patched from subversion using
defaults:
./configure

Next, I built the optimized Optimized GotoBLAS2 libraries version 1.13
and placed the file 'libgoto2_penrynp-r1.13.so' in /usr/lib

Finally, I renamed the original 'libRblas.so' file that was installed
in /usr/local/lib64
and created a soft link to the libgoto2 file.

cd /usr/local/lib64/R/lib
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgoto2_penrynp-r1.13.so libRblas.so