[R-sig-Debian] Help for sources.list

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jun 6 16:41:36 CEST 2010

After I apparently achieved access to the Debian CRAN repositories
last night (appropriate line for /etc/apt/sources.list plus getting
the GPG key to work), today it seems to have gone belly-up again
(but in a somewhat different way). First, without changing settings,
I got rubbish (not preserved) from Synaptic Package Manager. So I
decided to make a fresh start with /etc/apt/sources.list

I have adopted the suggested template

  deb http://<favorite-cran-mirror>/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/

and have substituted for "<favorite-cran-mirror>" one of the two UK
repositories, so I have a choice of two lines:

[1]:
  deb http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/
[2]:
  deb http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/

With either I get effectively the same response from Synaptic Package
Manager, namely for the first:

  An error occured
  The following details are provided:
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk
lenny-cran/ Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/www.stats.bris.ac.uk_R_bin_linux_debian_lenny-cran_Pac
kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

And for the second:

  An error occured
  The following details are provided:
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk
lenny-cran/ Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk_bin_linux_debian_lenny-cran_Pac
kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Is there some error (invisible to me) in the above lines [1] & [2]?
Or what?

Any help most gratefully received. I'm going round in circles on
this, despite attempts to follow instructions to the letter.

Thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 06-Jun-10                                       Time: 15:41:33