[R-sig-Debian] Help for sources.list

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 5 18:16:31 CEST 2010

As both you and Dirk have made considerable contributions to the R
project, although in different contexts, I will try to smooth out some
of the wrinkles in the communication.  The thing to realize is that
the Debian packages for R on the Debian archives are updated only when
a new release of Debian is prepared, and that is infrequent.  On the
other hand the Debian packages for R on the CRAN archives are updated
frequently.  It is not uncommon to have them updated within a few
hours of a new release of R.

This is why many respondents have suggested something like the explanation at

http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian

which says, in effect, that you should add the line

deb http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/

to your sources.list file.