[R-sig-Debian] Help for sources.list

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Jun 5 15:23:10 CEST 2010

Greetings!
I would be very grateful if someone could supply a suitable
line to enter into /etc/apt/sources.list for the benefit of
a complete dummy user (i.e. me -- I do not want to have to
do any interpretation, guesswork, reading of docs, etc.;
I want to just copy it in).

The machine in question is an Intel laptop, wuth Debian Lenny
(according to the Debian website the current stable version
as of 12 Feb 2010). The current contents of /etc/apt/sources.list
are:
=======
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main
=======

I had not been using this machine for running R, until I tried it
yesterday and was shocked to find that the R version installed is

  R 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)

compared with the version I have on my regular machine, which is
R 2.11.0 (2010-04-22). Then I was shocked, on visiting the Debian
Lenny webpage, to find that the currently held version of R is
the same as the above: "2.7.1-1+lenny" for all the basic R packages.
No wonder I have not been getting updates!

I am located in the UK.

What should I put in /etc/apt/sources.list ? (Maybe more than one
line, if that would be relevant to installing/updating a variety
of R packages).

With thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861