[R-sig-Debian] Compiling R-2.11.0 with ATLAS-tuned BLAS and LAPACK

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Wed Jun 2 08:08:48 CEST 2010

Dirk, that reminds me.  I DO build R myself from scratch, but it often
ends up not using Atlas even though I told it "--with-blas".

In particular, I just built R 2.11.1 on an x86-64 server running
Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS (Hardy), and it doesn't want to use Atlas.  This
machine has both these Atlas packages installed, although I'm not sure
what the 3gf stuff is:

  ii  atlas3-base       3.6.0-20.6         Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,
  ii  libatlas3gf-base  3.6.0-21.1ubuntu3  Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,

Below is my configure command and some of the relevant output.  Am I
doing anything obviously wrong?  Or could this be some sort of
limitation of the older Atlas packages on this machine?  Is R deciding
not to use Atlas because of the "checking whether double complex BLAS
can be used... no"?

LIBnn=lib r_arch=x86_64 LIBS=-lpthread ../configure  -with-x=yes --enable-R-shlib --enable-R-profiling --with-tcltk=/usr/lib/tcl8.4 --with-tcl-config=/usr/lib/tcl8.4/tclConfig.sh --enable-threads=posix --with-blas

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking whether C99 double complex is compatible with Rcomplex... yes
yes
checking for cblas_cdotu_sub in vecLib framework... no
checking for dgemm_... no
checking for ATL_xerbla in -latlas... no
checking for dgemm_ in -lblas... yes
checking for dgemm_ in -ldgemm... no
checking for dgemm_ in -lblas... (cached) yes
checking for dgemm_ in -lessl... no
checking for dgemm_ in -lblas... (cached) yes
checking whether double complex BLAS can be used... no

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O
  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O
  Obj-C compiler:
  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo
  Options enabled:           shared R library, shared BLAS, R profiling, Java
  Recommended packages:      yes

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/