[R-sig-Debian] TSA package dependencies

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:04:43 CEST 2010

On 06/01/2010 07:51 AM, Scott Brogan wrote:
> In Ubuntu 10.04, from the R command line
>
> install.packages('TSA',dep=TRUE)
>
> downloads&  installs about 100 packages from CRAN, including some big
> ones like Zelig.  It's only supposed to depend on leaps, locfit, mgcv,
> &  tseries&  through them akima, lattice, quadprog, zoo,&  stats.
> Not a big problem of course, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed
> this behaviour.

Scott,

 From help(install.packages)

logical indicating to also install uninstalled packages on which these
packages depend/suggest/import (and so on recursively). Not used if
repos = NULL. Can also be a character vector, a subset of c("Depends",
"Imports", "LinkingTo", "Suggests", "Enhances").

Using 'dep=TRUE' includes the Suggests, which is where the 200 packages
are coming from.   'install.packages('TSA',dep=c("Depends", "Imports",
"LinkingTo"))' only installs the ones you would think TSA needs.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Station Road