[R-sig-Debian] X trouble in R on Ubuntu

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Mon Jul 26 00:22:01 CEST 2010

On 07/25/2010 05:19 PM, Michael Wesolowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As per the subject, I am unable to do the following:
>
> plot(1);
>
> The error message I get is ( as user postgres)
>
> No protocol specified
> Error in X11(d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize, d$gamma,
> d$colortype,  :
>    unable to start device X11cairo
> In addition: Warning message:
> In function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
>    unable to open connection to X11 display ''
>
> I have tried looking around before posting to the mailing list, but I don't
> have the Linux knowledge to make this work.
>
> Some helpful information might be the truncated output from capabilities() -
> the output suggests the probable cause for this error, but I don't know how
> to fix it.
>
> as user postgres:
>> capabilities()
> X11     cairo
> FALSE     TRUE
>

> as user root:
>> capabilities()
> X11     cairo
> TRUE     TRUE

More information about you system will be helpful.

What version of Ubuntu?
What version of R?
Did you install R as a binary (with apt-get or synaptic, for example) or
did you compile from source?
Is "postgres" a user you created or a creation of installing a database?
Are you running the command via batch or interactive with an R prompt?

Given the user "postgres" it sounds like you are trying to run an R
script for some database functions.  Any general information about what
you are trying to do will also be helpful.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Station Road