[R-sig-Debian] RInside

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jul 24 19:45:56 CEST 2010

Paul,

On 18 July 2010 at 23:43, Paul Johnson wrote:
| I never tried RInside before, but after your post I became curious.  I
| checked your first message, it does not say if you installed R from
| the standard packages.  I think *how* R is built can have a big
| effect. The instructions on RInstall say you must have R installed as
| a shared library in order for this to work.  Do you have a file
| libR.so?  (If not, then you don't) Here's what I have on Ubuntu.

[Lots of stuff deleted]

I am not sure how helpful this post really was. You seem to spend a lot of
time explaining how to overcome non-standard issue on your system --- which
happens to be non-standard because of *your* local modifications.  I don't
believe that really warrants advertising an a list dedicated to helping
Debian and Ubuntu users employ R which (at least in my book) should default
to using the package management system.  That is why we all use .deb-based
systems in the first place.

Generally speaking, on Debian/Ubuntu installing RInside is as simple as first
installing Rcpp (which could even come from 'apt-get install r-cran-rcpp')
followed by installing RInside from the respective CRAN sources. The default
R packages (on Debian and Ubuntu) supports all this out of the box.  After
all, this is how I develop them, and it's similar for Romain even if he
doesn't use Debian or Ubuntu.

Regards, Dirk