[R-sig-Debian] "Graphics history" in UNIX --> "R" in Ubuntu for students in applied sciences

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sun Jul 11 20:15:32 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 12:44 +0200, Scotti Roberto wrote:

> What is the ideal compromise between these bounds?
>
> A -        On 10 July 2010 at 11:54, Ross Boylan:
> "The point of most distributions is to provide pre-compiled binary
> packages; particularly on Debian these are very good about indicating
> what other packages they require.  If you use a tool like aptitude
> and
> tell it you want package X, it will automatically pull in all other
> required packages.  Ubuntu is a Debian derivative."
>
> B -        Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 18:37:38 +0100, Michael Dewey:
> "My experience as a very naive Linux user with mostly Windows
> experience
> is that once you have the initial setup right subsequent installation
> of
> packages from source works very smoothly. I was quite nervous about
> the
> initial setup but the instructions on the welcome pages on CRAN were
> very helpful. I think when you look back in a few months time you
> will,
> like me, wonder why you were concerned in the first place."
>
> I am very tempted to vote (B) but I am aware of my personal bias in
> favor of very general (though risky!) solutions.
> I imagine that a common understanding on this point can help focus
> R-for-debian development.
> Sincerely, Roberto.
I think the easiest route is to use a binary when it is available and
install from source when it isn't.  Since virtually all of CRAN is
available from cran2deb (subject to the availability issues discussed
earlier), using it should eliminate most installation from source.  And
the basic Debian or Ubuntu archives may already have all that you need.

Ross