[R-sig-Debian] "Graphics history" in UNIX

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:36:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Scotti Roberto <roberto.scotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I understand that, to build from source, you need to have all sources (in
> the right place and with the right names, and so on),
> but your sentence,
>>
>> To build from source you need to have development files installed.
>
> stimulates a very basic question: "Is it possible to avoid building from
> source using R in Kubuntu?

Personally, my opinion is if you want somebody else to do your work
for you, you should have stayed with Windows.

Luckily for you, some other people are nice and want to build packages
for you.  There is a deb archive called "cran2deb"  that does build
many packages, there's no "guarantee" they will work with all the
stuff you have installed.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/useR2009cran2deb.pdf

Here's the reason there's no guarantee. Nobody can anticipate whatever
changes you have made to your system--that's the beauty of Linux. So
if you build your own, they always fit.  But if you stick with default
everything, the cran2deb will work.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science