[R-sig-Debian] pkg/tests: how to run them with --vanilla

mat matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 11:07:27 CEST 2010

Hello

I recently submitted an update of a package, and received error reports
from CRAN maintainers concerning the pkg/tests section:

> Next time you update, can you please ensure that the .Rout.save files
> are generated in English (with LANGUAGE=en set).  R 2.12.x will ensure
> that the tests are run in English, and it saves a lot of unnecessary
> chatter if the reference results also are.
>
> As a further point,
>
>> [Sauvegarde de la session précédente restaurée]
>
> indicates that they were not generated in a vanilla session, and they
> should be (as the tests are run with --vanilla --slave).
>
> Brian Ripley
  I always used to run the .Rout.save files with R CMD BATCH xxx.R So it
seems I should rather do it with R --vanilla... I tried:
cat xxx.R| R --vanilla --slave > xxx.Rout.save

But this gives files without the ">", and then it gets reported in the R
CMD check... What would be the good way to do?

Secondly, I always got this error that the R CMD BATCH run in french,
but the R CMD check in english. I have been told I should change to
language=EN. But how do I do this in Linux? I just added:
Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL","en_US.UTF8")
Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE","en_US.UTF8")
Sys.setlocale("LC_MESSAGES","en_US.UTF8")

in the .Rprofile... it this right?

Thanks!!

Matthieu