[R-sig-Debian] Doc suggestion, was Re: Can I install debs over packages installed via R?

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 16:27:44 CET 2010

At 17:26 30/01/2010, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

A lot of useful things and then

>3)  This means
>
>       /usr/local/lib/R/site-library     is first and hence the default, so
>                                         both 'R CMD INSTALL foo_1.2-3.tar.gz'
>                                         and install.packages("foo")
> install here.
>                                         This is where R puts things.
>
>       /usr/lib/R/site-library           is where most r-cran-* packages go
>
>       /usr/lib/R/library                is where base and
> recommended r-cran-*
>                                         packages (ie those shipped
> with R sources)
>                                         go

Could I suggest that this information be put in the readme page which
comes up on CRAN when you click on binaries and then on debian? I did
eventually work out two thirds of it myself but my desire to know
where things are being put vastly outstrips my ability to work it out
for myself.

>Hope this helps, Dirk

It certainly did.