[R-sig-Debian] Cran2deb and Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 15 14:47:40 CET 2010

On 15 February 2010 at 12:38, Lorenzo Isella wrote:
| Dear All,
| I am running (X)Ubuntu 9.10 for the amd64 architecture on both my laptop
| e desktop.
| I came across the posts
|
| http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336062
| http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-debian@r-project.org/msg00892.html
| So it looks like that I will not be able to safely use cran2deb together
| with Ubuntu, but I simply would like to make sure that this is the way
| things really are.

In that second reference you provide, you can read this

    On 11 November 2009 at 08:38, Etienne Laliberté wrote:
    | Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else (didn't see it), but is
    | cran2deb fully compatible with Ubuntu?

    To the best of my knowledge, nobody ever claimed it was. I have seen people
    state that they use the packages [ that are built for Debian in a Debian
    chroot ] on Ubuntu; I myself have not attempted that and am unlikely to do it.

Let me repeat what I wrote there one more time:

    Nobody ever claimed cran2deb was meant for Ubuntu.

So in shorthand: Debian != Ubuntu, by choice that Ubuntu made years ago.

It may work for you, or it may not. If it doesn't, don't come here asking for
help.  If and when there are sufficient resources Charles and I may attempt
to also provide Ubuntu binaries via cran2deb. Currently, we do not.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

| Cheers
|
| Lorenzo

  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!