[R-sig-Debian] can't launch R after "installing" it

Benilton Carvalho beniltoncarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:38:35 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who's got a Ubuntu 9.04 system.

After an apparent successful installation of R (via sudo apt-get
install r-base), her attempts of loading R (typing 'R' on the
terminal) always return a message stating that it is not installed.

Since I'm no expert on Ubuntu nor on its package manag. system and,
additionally, I failed on finding descriptions on the web of similar
problems (not that they don't exist), I wonder if any of you could
give me a pointer on how to proceed on such situation.

Thank you very much,