[R-sig-Debian] Updating R for Linux

Paul Leo p.leo at uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 24 03:53:35 CEST 2009

Hi Dennis,

Just to clarify; I took your post as an opportunity to answer a
(related) question I have seen one or twice - about running the current
AND development versions of R on the same machine.

You should NOT do this unless you really need  R2.10 (and BioC 2.5).

 The HIGHLY prefered method of installing ANY  software on linux is  via
a packet manager like apt or synaptic so all the dependencies can be
taken care easily and updates are then easy to do.

Cheers
Paul

Email: p.leo at uq.edu.au   Web: http://www.di.uq.edu.au