[R-sig-Debian] Updating R for Linux

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Wed Sep 23 17:17:46 CEST 2009

Colleagues,

Please forgive my ignorance of this topic.  I am experienced with the
installation/use of R in OSX and Windows, much less so with Linux.

I just created a virtual machine of Ubuntu 9.0.4.  Using the Synaptic
Package Manager, I installed R 2.8.1.  I would like to obtain 2.9.x
and I am having trouble doing so using the tools available within
Ubuntu.

I tried
	apt-get install r-base
The system replied that the newest version was already installed and
no changes were made.

I also added
	dev http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/debian etch-cran
	/etc/apt/sources.list
Running apt-get install r-base again yielded no response.

Can anyone advise on the simplest means to update to 2.9.x.  I need
only the basic packages, nothing special.  Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)