[R-sig-Debian] Converting libraries for different operating systems

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Sep 22 13:36:32 CEST 2009

On 22 September 2009 at 07:13, lamorim at email.unc.edu wrote:
| Dear list members,
|
|     I used a R package some years ago with an older version of R in
| sparc-sun-solaris2 (Unix) machine. I have to redo some of those
| analysis, but now my machine is ubuntu. I'm getting the following error
| message when I try to install the library:
|
| Error: package crf was built for sparc-sun-solaris2.6
|
|     Is there any way to convert the library for different operating
| system (Linux in this case)?

Yes, it is called "install from source".

Seriously, that is what a compiler does: translate from (human-readable)
source code to (machine-readable) executables.  And no, these are generally
not portable across system.

| If so, could you please give some directions?

You need

    sudo R CMD INSTALL foo_1.2-3.tar.gz

and you probably want to install the r-base-dev package first, as well as
everything you need for building foo.