[R-sig-Debian] Very general question about Debian...

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Tue Sep 15 14:21:54 CEST 2009

I am currently running R in a Debian-based distro (Antix) and I have been very pleased with the performance. I tried many other distros, including Ubuntu (where I started my linux adventure) but I found that Antix is very fast, very flexible and suited to my needs. There are other fine Debian distros out there, so I think it would be worth exploring other options to Ubuntu.

Currently, I have the option to keep my system rock solid using only stable repos or open it to stable and testing (which introduces some risk). However, in a well-supported distro with a good forum where instability issues are discussed, this is not so much of an issue. You will have to determine your comfort level with the risk.

All in all, I would recommend staying with Debian and testing out other distros to see which one suits you. The advantage of linux is precisely the choices available.

Best of luck.

Pedro