[R-sig-Debian] REvolution R sneaking inside Ubuntu ???

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 5 16:28:12 CEST 2009

On 5 October 2009 at 09:52, Martin Maechler wrote:
| Read this on R-help,
| subject  "[R] Ubuntu, Revolutions, R".
|
| I can hardly believe it's true and at the moment suspect
| that Andrew has a very unusual '/etc/apt/sources.list' or
| (an analogoue of that)
|
| Any qualified comments,
| Dirk Eddelbuettel, Vincent Goulet, ??

Please see the follow-up by David Smith on r-help.

In short: Canonical and REvolution have cooperated to provide an enhanced R
version in the upcoming Ubuntu release due out at the end of October. It
offers both the Intel MKL (the fastest BLAS available thanks to extensive
code optimization and, where possible, multithreaded operations) and the
REvolution 'iterators', 'foreach', 'doMC', 'doSNOW' packages that make
parallel execution easier (either via Simon's multicore or via snow).

Nothing is taken away from R, and the only visible change is the message from
/etc/R/Rprofile.site which can be commented-out rather easily. It can also be
suppressed by using one ot the standard options --silent, --slave or --quiet.

As you asked: I have provided technical assistance via the packaging and the
integration into the Ubuntu release.  I have also tested this fairly
rigorously on amd64 and i386 machines.  Lastly, the 'R-for-Ubuntu-via-CRAN'
process that is handled by Vincent and Michael is completely separate from
this and continues to be a straight port of my Debian package.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to take them off-line. I look forward
to your comments once your Ubuntu installation has upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10.

Regards, Dirk