[R-sig-Debian] error installing/compiling kernlab

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 5 15:39:30 CEST 2009

On 4 October 2009 at 10:43, Mircea Trandafir wrote:
| Thanks for the reply. I am using R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24). I used to
| run it on a 32bit machine and everything worked fine. It's only after I
| switched to 64bit that I had this problem. Maybe it's something about
| 64bit vs 32bit? So it'd be great if you could check if it works on a
| 64bit machine.

It works just the same on amd64 on my Ubuntu 9.04.  I suspect that you may
have either a) an problem with one of the packages loaded by kernlab or
b) an RData file that is loaded that gets in the way and provides a size()
method that triggers the error

   In method for function "size": formal arguments omitted in the method
   definition cannot be in the signature (obj = "specc")

you reported.

In short, the error is not reproducible on either amd64 or i386 with current
R installations, and I double kernlab or R are at fault.

Hope this helps, Dirk

| Thanks again,
| Mircea
|
| Dirk Eddelbuettel said the following on 2009-10-04 10:29:
| > On 4 October 2009 at 09:54, Mircea Trandafir wrote:
| > |
| > | Hi everybody,
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | I'm using R on a 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty). I prefer to install R
| > | packages from source, even if they are available in Synaptic. The
| > | problem is that I can't install/compile kernlab. Everything works fine
| > | until it gets to the lazy loading part:
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ** preparing package for lazy loading
| > |
| > | Creating a new generic function for "terms" in "kernlab"
| > |
| > | Creating a new generic function for "fitted" in "kernlab"
| > |
| > | Creating a new generic function for "coef" in "kernlab"
| > |
| > | Error in conformMethod(signature, mnames, fnames, f, fdef, definition)
| > | :
| > |
| > |   In method for function "size": formal arguments omitted in the method
| > | definition cannot be in the signature (obj = "specc")
| > |
| > | Error : unable to load R code in package 'kernlab'
| > |
| > | ERROR : lazy loading failed for the package �kernlab�
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
> [...]
| >   kcca-class                        text    html    latex   example
| >   kcca                              text    html    latex   example
| >   kernel-class                      text    html    latex   example
| >   kernelMatrix                      text    html    latex   example
| >   kfa-class                         text    html    latex   example
| >   kfa                               text    html    latex   example
| >   kha-class                         text    html    latex   example
| >   kha                               text    html    latex   example
| >   kkmeans                           text    html    latex   example
| >   kmmd-class                        text    html    latex   example
| >   kmmd                              text    html    latex   example
| >   kpca-class                        text    html    latex   example
| >   kpca                              text    html    latex   example
| >   kqr-class                         text    html    latex   example
| >   kqr                               text    html    latex   example
| >   ksvm-class                        text    html    latex   example
| >   ksvm                              text    html    latex   example
| >   lssvm-class                       text    html    latex   example
| >   lssvm                             text    html    latex   example
| >   musk                              text    html    latex   example
| >   onlearn-class                     text    html    latex   example
| >   onlearn                           text    html    latex   example
| >   plot                              text    html    latex   example
| >   prc-class                         text    html    latex
| >   predict.gausspr                   text    html    latex   example
| >   predict.kqr                       text    html    latex   example
| >   predict.ksvm                      text    html    latex   example
| >   promotergene                      text    html    latex   example
| >   ranking-class                     text    html    latex   example
| >   ranking                           text    html    latex   example
| >   reuters                           text    html    latex
| >   rvm-class                         text    html    latex   example
| >   rvm                               text    html    latex   example
| >   sigest                            text    html    latex   example
| >   spam                              text    html    latex
| >   specc-class                       text    html    latex   example
| >   specc                             text    html    latex   example
| >   spirals                           text    html    latex   example
| >   stringdot                         text    html    latex   example
| >   ticdata                           text    html    latex
| >   vm-class                          text    html    latex
| > ** building package indices ...
| > * DONE (kernlab)
| >
| > The downloaded packages are in
| >         ‘/tmp/downloaded_packages’
| > edd at ron:~$
| >
| > That's on i386 but if you insist I could try on one of the amd64 machines at

| > |
| > | Mircea
| > |
| > |