[R-sig-Debian] error installing/compiling kernlab

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 4 16:29:15 CEST 2009

On 4 October 2009 at 09:54, Mircea Trandafir wrote:

| Hi everybody,
|

| I'm using R on a 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty). I prefer to install R
| packages from source, even if they are available in Synaptic. The
| problem is that I can't install/compile kernlab. Everything works fine
| until it gets to the lazy loading part:
|

| ** preparing package for lazy loading
|
| Creating a new generic function for "terms" in "kernlab"
|
| Creating a new generic function for "fitted" in "kernlab"
|
| Creating a new generic function for "coef" in "kernlab"
|
| Error in conformMethod(signature, mnames, fnames, f, fdef, definition)
| :
|
|   In method for function "size": formal arguments omitted in the method
| definition cannot be in the signature (obj = "specc")
|
| Error : unable to load R code in package 'kernlab'
|
| ERROR : lazy loading failed for the package ‘kernlab’
|

| Does anybody have any idea what might cause this? And, more
| importantly, how I can move forward?

Works fine here (and 'install.r' is from the 'littler' package and I just
create a symlink for it so that I can quickly install packages from the
command-line):

edd at ron:~$ install.r kernlab
trying URL 'http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib/kernlab_0.9-8.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1262166 bytes (1.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 1.2 Mb

* Installing *source* package ‘kernlab’ ...
** libs
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c brweight.cpp -o brweight.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c ctable.cpp -o ctable.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c cweight.cpp -o cweight.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dbreakpt.c -o dbreakpt.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dcauchy.c -o dcauchy.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dgpnrm.c -o dgpnrm.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dgpstep.c -o dgpstep.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dprecond.c -o dprecond.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dprsrch.c -o dprsrch.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dspcg.c -o dspcg.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dtron.c -o dtron.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dtrpcg.c -o dtrpcg.o
dtrpcg.c: In function ‘dtrpcg’:
dtrpcg.c:157: warning: value computed is not used
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c dtrqsol.c -o dtrqsol.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c esa.cpp -o esa.o
In file included from wmsufsort.h:46,
                 from esa.cpp:68:
msufsort.h: In member function ‘void MSufSort::ShowProgress()’:
msufsort.h:907: warning: unused variable ‘p’
esa.cpp: In constructor ‘ESA::ESA(const UInt32&, SYMBOL*, int)’:
esa.cpp:114: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c expdecayweight.cpp -o expdecayweight.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c inductionsort.cpp -o inductionsort.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c kspectrumweight.cpp -o kspectrumweight.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c lcp.cpp -o lcp.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c misc.c -o misc.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c msufsort.cpp -o msufsort.o
In file included from msufsort.cpp:28:
msufsort.h: In member function ‘void MSufSort::ShowProgress()’:
msufsort.h:907: warning: unused variable ‘p’
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c solvebqp.c -o solvebqp.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c stringk.c -o stringk.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c stringkernel.cpp -o stringkernel.o
stringkernel.cpp: In function ‘SEXPREC* stringtv(SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*, SEXPREC*)’:
stringkernel.cpp:506: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
stringkernel.cpp:513: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c svm.cpp -o svm.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c wkasailcp.cpp -o wkasailcp.o
g++ -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c wmsufsort.cpp -o wmsufsort.o
In file included from wmsufsort.h:46,
                 from wmsufsort.cpp:48:
msufsort.h: In member function ‘void MSufSort::ShowProgress()’:
msufsort.h:907: warning: unused variable ‘p’
g++ -shared -o kernlab.so brweight.o ctable.o cweight.o dbreakpt.o dcauchy.o dgpnrm.o dgpstep.o dprecond.o dprsrch.o dspcg.o dtron.o dtrpcg.o dtrqsol.o esa.o expdecayweight.o inductionsort.o kspectrumweight.o lcp.o misc.o msufsort.o solvebqp.o stringk.o stringkernel.o svm.o wkasailcp.o wmsufsort.o -lblas -lgfortran -lm -llapack -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Creating a new generic function for "terms" in "kernlab"
Creating a new generic function for "fitted" in "kernlab"
Creating a new generic function for "coef" in "kernlab"
Creating a new generic function for "predict" in "kernlab"
Creating a new generic function for "plot" in "kernlab"
** help
*** installing help indices
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'kernlab'
     Formats: text html latex example
  as.kernelMatrix                   text    html    latex   example
  couple                            text    html    latex   example
  csi-class                         text    html    latex   example
  csi                               text    html    latex   example
  dots                              text    html    latex   example
  gausspr-class                     text    html    latex   example
  gausspr                           text    html    latex   example
  inchol-class                      text    html    latex   example
  inchol                            text    html    latex   example
  income                            text    html    latex
  inlearn                           text    html    latex   example
  ipop-class                        text    html    latex   example
  ipop                              text    html    latex   example
  kcca-class                        text    html    latex   example
  kcca                              text    html    latex   example
  kernel-class                      text    html    latex   example
  kernelMatrix                      text    html    latex   example
  kfa-class                         text    html    latex   example
  kfa                               text    html    latex   example
  kha-class                         text    html    latex   example
  kha                               text    html    latex   example
  kkmeans                           text    html    latex   example
  kmmd-class                        text    html    latex   example
  kmmd                              text    html    latex   example
  kpca-class                        text    html    latex   example
  kpca                              text    html    latex   example
  kqr-class                         text    html    latex   example
  kqr                               text    html    latex   example
  ksvm-class                        text    html    latex   example
  ksvm                              text    html    latex   example
  lssvm-class                       text    html    latex   example
  lssvm                             text    html    latex   example
  musk                              text    html    latex   example
  onlearn-class                     text    html    latex   example
  onlearn                           text    html    latex   example
  plot                              text    html    latex   example
  prc-class                         text    html    latex
  predict.gausspr                   text    html    latex   example
  predict.kqr                       text    html    latex   example
  predict.ksvm                      text    html    latex   example
  promotergene                      text    html    latex   example
  ranking-class                     text    html    latex   example
  ranking                           text    html    latex   example
  reuters                           text    html    latex
  rvm-class                         text    html    latex   example
  rvm                               text    html    latex   example
  sigest                            text    html    latex   example
  spam                              text    html    latex
  specc-class                       text    html    latex   example
  specc                             text    html    latex   example
  spirals                           text    html    latex   example
  stringdot                         text    html    latex   example
  ticdata                           text    html    latex
  vm-class                          text    html    latex
** building package indices ...
* DONE (kernlab)

The downloaded packages are in
        ‘/tmp/downloaded_packages’
edd at ron:~$

That's on i386 but if you insist I could try on one of the amd64 machines at
work.

What version of R are you running?

Dirk