[R-sig-Debian] debian and cran2deb name clashes

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 18 13:34:50 CET 2009

On 18 November 2009 at 10:54, Liviu Andronic wrote:
| Hello
|
| On 11/15/09, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| > Fix the version number in the (manually packaged) xtable package? So maybe
| >  you want to file a Debian bug report.
| >
| I checked several packages and it seems that generally
| Debian-supported packages follow CRAN numbering. A bug report would
| indeed make sense.

And bug report #556295 appears to have been filed.

| >  And this is not a 'name clash'. This is the same package from two different
| >  repositories, which happens all the time (eg when you look at Debian testing
| >  and unstable, or Debian and CRAN, or...).  It is simply bug in the version
| >  number chosen that leads to 1.5.5 sorting higher than 1.5-6.
| >
| Would it be possible to make the cran2deb repository preferred over
| the Debian testing one? Similar to setting, for example, 'testing' as
| the target distribution (that is preferred over 'unstable', 'stable',
| etc.).

Yes, Maybe you can work it out with the apt-pinning documentation?  I am not
sure if this can overcome the sort logic of dpkg et al though.

For packages that you notice that are sorting wrongly, maybe you have to
resort to installing neither version with the package management system but
rather fall back to CRAN and install.packages() ?