[R-sig-Debian] debian and cran2deb name clashes

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Nov 15 14:29:20 CET 2009

On 15 November 2009 at 12:10, Liviu Andronic wrote:
| Dear all
| Recently I noticed that there are name clashes between the packages
| proposed in the Debian testing repos and cran2deb. For example,
| Synaptic proposes to upgrade from xtable
| 1.5-6-1cran1 (cran2deb, up-to-date CRAN version) to
| 1.5.5-1 (testing, older version).
|
| Is there anything that can be done about these clashes?

Fix the version number in the (manually packaged) xtable package? So maybe
you want to file a Debian bug report.

And this is not a 'name clash'. This is the same package from two different
repositories, which happens all the time (eg when you look at Debian testing
and unstable, or Debian and CRAN, or...).  It is simply bug in the version
number chosen that leads to 1.5.5 sorting higher than 1.5-6.

Unfortunately we used to default to a.b.c (ie all dots) before we switched to
adopting whatever CRAN has: a.b-c, a-b-c, .... so there may be more cases.