[R-sig-Debian] R on netbooks -- was 'Upgrading R packages on Etch'

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Wed Nov 11 14:51:41 CET 2009

Just a general comment that may be important for avoiding troubles with
netbooks.

The original post mentioned issues of space on the netbook "disk".

I run my netbook with the /var/log directed to tmpfs. Also try to clear
the apt cache with
apt-get clean

Netbooks (esp. with SSD) need to be kept a bit more tidy than other
machines. The suggestion that some packages may need to be built will
give lots of trouble when the build essentials and everything else has
to be added onto the limited storage.

JN