[R-sig-Debian] ubuntu problem with 'r-cran-robustbase' [FWD Agustin Lobo]

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 12 14:41:58 CEST 2009

    DE> On 12 May 2009 at 11:45, Martin Maechler wrote:
    DE> | Agustin, posted on R-help.
    DE> | I think the problem is one of the debian/ubuntu package
    DE> | 'r-cran-robustbase' and its setup or (missing?) dependencies.
    DE> |
    DE> | I can confirm Agustin's problem, working on Ubuntu 8.04.2
    DE> | (8.04 is a "LTS" = long time support version).
    DE> |
    DE> |   apt-get install r-cran-robustbase
    DE> |
    DE> | works fine, but when trying to load the package,
    DE> | there's a DLL - dependency on libRlapack.so
    DE> | which is not fulfilled (and not fulfillable: There's *no*
    DE> | libRlapack.so).
    DE> |
    DE> | For me,
    DE> |
    DE> |   $ /usr/bin/R CMD config LAPACK_LIBS
    DE> |   -llapack
    DE> |
    DE> | and lapack.so is found inside /usr/lib/R/modules/
    DE> | and liblapack.so from the 'lapack3' Debian/Ubuntu package
    DE> | is simply in /usr/lib/libpack.so
    DE> |
    DE> | Could it be that this is caused by an Ubuntu / Debian
    DE> | mismatch?

    DE> Scratch Debian here. It works there:

    DE> edd at ron:~> echo 'library(robustbase);cat("Hi\n")' | R --silent --no-save
        R> library(robustbase);cat("Hi\n")
    DE> Hi
        R>
    DE> edd at ron:~>

That's exactly what I meant with  "Ubuntu / Debian mismatch":

Namely that Ubuntu is not matching Debian in its setup/behavior,
as indeed, knowing the Debian maintainer Dirk E. a bit, I had
already assumed that it would work fine in Debian.

    DE> It looks like Ubuntu failed to rebuild the package. The Rlapack.so vs
    DE> lapack.so is an old one from the Atlas 3.6 / gfortran transition well over a
    DE> year ago and had affected other package.

    DE> So on Ubuntu, uninstall r-cran-robustbase and re-install robustbase from CRAN
    DE> sources.  And file a bug report with Ubuntu.

indeed.  Thank you, Dirk!

However, I guess that Agustin should also install R itself
differently, namely using the CRAN-ubuntu repository rather than
the standard Ubuntu ones, since he told me his version of R gives
something like

    $ /usr/bin/R CMD config LAPACK_LIBS
    -L/usr/lib/R/libs -lRlapack

whereas I get the more reasonable

    $ /usr/bin/R CMD config LAPACK_LIBS
    -llapack

But, as I said, even my (two servers at work)
Ubuntu 8.04 -- AMD64 (!) -- systems
get a non-working  r-cran-robustbase
*from* the CRAN-ubuntu-repository.

However, I now understand why: The 'hardy' (8.04)  CRAN ubuntu
directory does *not* contain  r-cran-robustbase.
(the master is http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/hardy/ )

Maybe that could be changed (by Vincent IIRC)?

Regards,
Martin