[R-sig-Debian] build dependencies was Re: [R] problem with rgl package

G. Jay Kerns gkerns at ysu.edu
Thu May 7 17:28:07 CEST 2009

Dear R-SIG-Debian,

> a) You still haven't explained why you need to rebuild it when
>       sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgl
>   gets you a binary

I  do not want to answer for the OP, but for myself, two things:

1)  I maintain a personal library in my HOME folder - for a few
reasons - and one of the benefits is that I can  install/update R
packages without needing to run R as root.

2) the list of supported packages in Synaptic is long enough to be
*too long* to remember, but short enough that it doesn't have many of
the packages I regularly use.  Rather than try to keep track of CRAN
vs Synaptic, it is easier to just use CRAN and forget about it.

I have been interested in learning about building Debian packages
myself, but haven't had the time to investigate yet. In addition, my
understanding from earlier messages on the mailing list is that work
is already underway to significantly lengthen the Synaptic list...

> b) Yes, as
>       sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-rgl
>   would have found out for you.

Is there any way to include some form of this information on the
README page of the Ubuntu section on CRAN? Here's how it reads right
now, under "ADMINISTRATION AND MAINTENANCE OF R PACKAGES":

"Installing R packages not provided with Ubuntu first requires tools
to compile the packages from source. These tools are installed via the
R development package with

   sudo apt-get install r-base-dev"

The above is, of course, true, but not the whole story.  In
particular, for a supported R package like rgl there are additional
tools needed to build it, which are not in r-base-dev, but which can
be obtained with "sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-rgl".  Perhaps there
are other (supported) packages that require tools which aren't in
r-base-dev.

Under  "ADMINISTRATION AND MAINTENANCE OF R PACKAGES", how about something like:

"Installing R packages not provided with Ubuntu first requires tools
to compile the packages from source. *For the majority of R packages
these* tools may be installed via the R development package with

   sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

Please note, however, that some packages may require tools not
contained in r-base-dev, and the user must find and install these on
an individual basis.  But in the case that R package 'foo' is
supported (with an Ubuntu package r-cran-foo), then the following will
identify and install such dependencies:

  sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-foo"

I am sure that there are other people who could say what I am trying
to say in a much better and more accurate way.  I would invite and
welcome improvements.  I could imagine a similar statement or
reference in SUPPORTED PACKAGES.

Some may rightly argue that those experienced with Ubuntu will already
know about "sudo apt-get build-dep" and it does not need to be posted
on CRAN Ubuntu README.  But I was introduced to Ubuntu by way of R,
and not the other way around.  For people like me, this would be
great.

> We do _a lot of work_ for R on Debian/Ubuntu. Use it, you even have a
> money-back guarantee. And ...

Yes... I myself appreciate very much all of the hard work by Dirk,
Doug, Vincent, and Michael, all.  Both off-list administration and
on-list troubleshooting.  Thank you.

Best,
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu
http://www.cc.ysu.edu/~gjkerns/