[R-sig-Debian] fluxbox, ess and redrawing r windows

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 29 18:49:14 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm running Lenny with Fluxbox, interacting with R via Emacs + ESS. An
ongoing aggravation with this setup is trying to get R graphics windows
redrawn.

For example, I may have 8 or 10 R graphics windows open, and I switch
between them using Alt-tab. The problem is, sometimes the windows remain
blank. Sometimes I can get the display back by moving the window with
the mouse, or switching focus away from the window, then returning to
it. Other times, they just stubbornly refuse to show me their contents.
The problem is compounded when I want to compare three or four plots at
the same time - getting all four windows to show their contents at the
same time is incredibly frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anybody have any ideas how to fix
this?

Thanks,

Tyler