[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu and sources.list question about mirror sites...

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sat Jan 17 23:29:38 CET 2009

Le ven. 16 janv. à 20:18, Brian Lunergan a écrit :

> Evening all:
>
> Thought I'd announce myself with a question about setting up
> sources.list to be able to begin download and install of R.
>
> Running version 7.10 of Ubuntu. (Tried 8.04 but found it slow and
> finicky with my hardware. Perhaps will try 8.10 or above, but that's a
> thought for another time.)

Just be aware that we will drop support for Gutsy at the same time as
Ubuntu, i.e. next April.

> Followed the notes on the R site and added the following lines to my
> sources.list:
>
> deb http://probability.ca/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/
>
> deb http://releases.ubuntu.com/ hardy-backports main restricted univer

Incomplete (s/b universe, not univer) and, as Michael pointed out, you
shouldn't mix versions. The README says

"Therefore, it is suggested to activate the backports repositories
with an entry like..."

The "like" was meant to avoid repeating the entry for each release and
to imply "adjust accordingly for your release".

Regards,

Vincent