[R-sig-Debian] plans for lenny-cran? can I help?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 12 21:15:38 CET 2009

On 12 February 2009 at 20:56, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Hi Piet,
|
| thanks for your input to this. I have no idea, frankly speaking, if tcl
| and tk 8.4 or 8.5 would be the better choice. As upstream (Dirk) uses
| 8.5, I would try to stick with it, as it is availabe in lenny, as you
| pointed out. Is your point that if we would need tclsh or wish, this
| would conflict with tcl8.5, as 8.4 is the default on lenny? I am not
| ware that tclsh and wish are being used, are you, Dirk?

The recommended R package tcltk -- still the only truly cross-platform GUI --
gets to use so-called 'themed' widgets under the 8.5 versions. As these look
a lot prettier, R Core sort-of suggests upgrading.  As there is no pain and
some gain in Debian unstable and testing, it (still) seems like the right
call.

I am not aware of any conflicts within the tcl/tk world, but I am not a heavy
tcl/tk user. I still use Perl/Tk and other things alongside and everybody
seems to get along.  Maybe I missed what was upsetting Piet...