[R-sig-Debian] R slower after etch->lenny upgrade

Charles Plessy charles-r-nospam at plessy.org
Wed Dec 9 13:57:33 CET 2009

Le Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:06:56AM -0700, Gary Hodges a écrit :
> Gary Hodges wrote:
>> Hi.  Last week I updated from 32 bit etch to 32 bit lenny on an AMD SMP
>> machine.  I first cloned the system disk to an identical drive, and
>> updated the cloned drive.  I still have the etch install untouched on
>> the previous drive, which has allowed me to do some testing.  After the
>> update R has slowed down significantly.  A user brought this to my
>> attention, and at this point we have only tested one script (multiple
>> times, different days).

> Update:  We just tried something a little different.  My colleague's
> script writes output to the screen.  I suggested writing to pdf files
> instead and it ran much faster; comparable to the speeds on etch.  So at
> this point I'm guessing this is not a R issue per se, but an issue with
> graphics.

Dear Gary,

I think that between Etch and Lenny, R switched its default rendering system to
use the Cairo library, which provides anti-aliasing and other improvements.
This rendering system is slower than the previous system, Xlib. Maybe you can
try your comparison using ‘type = "Xlib"’ when you open X11() or png() devices.

Best regards,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan