[R-sig-Debian] R slower after etch->lenny upgrade

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 7 18:31:15 CET 2009

Hi.  Last week I updated from 32 bit etch to 32 bit lenny on an AMD SMP
machine.  I first cloned the system disk to an identical drive, and
updated the cloned drive.  I still have the etch install untouched on
the previous drive, which has allowed me to do some testing.  After the
update R has slowed down significantly.  A user brought this to my
attention, and at this point we have only tested one script (multiple
times, different days).

etch -> 48 seconds
lenny-> 4 min 5 sec

I compiled a kernel on both etch and lenny to see if there was a
comparable slow down.

etch -> 45 min
lenny -> 47 min 35 sec

So, the kernel compile is a a little slower on lenny.

During the upgrade there was an error of some sort about updating the
following packages:
r-base-core
r-cran-kernsmooth
r-cran-mgev
r-cran-cluster

I deleted those packages and continued with the upgrade.  When the
upgrade was finished, I reinstalled those packages.  Other than that
minor issue, the upgrade went really smooth.  Cheers, Gary