[R-sig-Debian] chooseCRANmirror()

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 18:51:22 CEST 2009

At 17:22 27/08/2009, ogbos okike wrote:

>Hello,
>I am runing linux on Ubuntus. I find it difficult to install R packages. I
>am in South Africa. It always asked me to choose the nearest CRAN mirror. I
>normally choose South Africa and once I clicked Ok, the error message pasted
>below will appear. Please I am a new student of R and Ubuntus.

Ogbos, the first thing to try is another mirror. Using a close one is
only an efficiency thing.

>  The other
>warning "argument 'lib' is missing: using
>'/home/ogbos/R/i486-pc-linux-library/2.8'" is also a source of worry to me.

If you do
.libPaths()
within R you will see the paths to the libraries R knows about. If
you do not specify one yourself R gives you the warning you just saw
and then uses the first one. The main issue is getting yourself
confused if you start installing things by design or by happenstance
into a different one from the one you thought you were using.

Good luck with your studies of R and Ubuntu.