[R-sig-Debian] Help getting ODBC to work

Thorsten Muehge MUEHGE at de.ibm.com
Wed Aug 19 10:23:27 CEST 2009

Dear Debian Experts,
Im am switched from windows to UBUNTO 9.04 (Jaunty).
As before I want to use R for my statistical analysis (connectiing to IBM
DB2).

Installation of the RODBC Package worked without problems.

However I have a problem getting the DB2 ODBC to work properly.

Although this is not really R related, maybe someone is able to help
me.....

What I did:
1.Download of IBM DB2 Drivers for ODBC and CLI from IBM DB2 support page
(v9fp7_linux_db2driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z)
2. Create Directory: /home/thorsten/db2_cli_odbc_driver
3. Copy the zipped file to the directory and unzip
4. Edit the /home/thorsten/db2_cli_odbc_driver/clidriver/cfg/db2cli.ini
file
[COMMON]
Trace=0
TracePathName=/home/thorsten/db2_cli_odbc_driver/clidriver/trace
TraceComm=1
TraceFlush=1
TraceTimeStamp=1

[SCAMS]
Database=SCAMS
Hostname=vacma4mz.vac.hu.ibm.com
Port=50000
Protocol=TCPIP

4. Edit the /etc/odbc.ini file
[ODBC Data Source]
SCAMS=IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER

[WBBURT1]
Driver=/home/thorsten/db2_cli_odbc_driver/clidriver/lib/libdb2.so
Description=MYDB2 DB2 ODBC Database
5. Test connection by # isql -v SCAMS userid password
6. Error Message: [IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not
found, and no default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

In fact testing it with RODBC give identical error messages....

Does anybody know how to fix it??